Wednesday 20 October 2010

Autumn Leaves

When I say my bedroom looks out over a graveyard it paints a fairly gloomy picture. Perhaps I should add, therefore, that I am also blessed with a precious London rarity: trees right outside my window. Every morning I wake up not just to the sound of traffic but to the scrabble of squirrels.
Arriving home this afternoon, still spinning from the long tube journey, I just couldn't face sitting down at my desk to work. I could see the remainders of sunshine on the leaves outside and couldn't bare to be inside.
So, discarding my books unopened on my desk, I donned hat, scarf and coat and set off to leafy London Fields.
One of Hackney's highlights, I love having London Fields two minutes around the corner. Admist all the hustle and bustle of the big city London's parks provide grassy patches of rest and respite.

It seems I wasn't the only one in need of a moment's calm. All throughout the park solitary figures sat on benches taking in the last of the sun and no doubt losing themselves in their thoughts and the calming view like I did. Someone did Tai chi on the grass, whilst others walked dogs or pushed prams.

I felt better already.
A fifteen minute dose of fresh autumnal air and an expanse of green worked miracles.

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment