Thursday 22 March 2012

Tourist for the afternoon

Last week I broke up for the Easter holidays, and the sun has been shining ever since. It had been a long term but it ended on a high. We had been working on a research project for Procter and Gamble which we pitched to them last week in the old library in Burlington House. Presenting there was an incredible experience in itself. It got better when my group won a prize for the best presentation. The work we had put in since December had paid off, and I had made some great friends and learnt a lot in the process.

Now spring has not only sprung, but jumped for joy in a blooming of daffodils and blue skies.

What better way to enjoy it than to be a tourist for the afternoon and head to Hyde Park?

Yesterday I did just that.

I was dressed like a walking rainbow. One of my favourite phrases is 'be the change you want to see in the world'. Well I think you should also be the colours you want to see in the world. It was a beautiful day, much too beautiful for black opaque tights or any shade of grey. So instead I wore my new trousers that are about as bright as trousers can get without requiring a health warning.

My friend recently bought a pair of crazy and colourful leggings which I love to bits. When she showed them to me she said "well I'm not going to be able to wear these when I'm 40 so I might as well enjoy them now." I loved her attitude and was inspired to buy my own 'I won't wear them when I'm 40' trousers. True, I do look borderline crazy when I wear them, but I also feel energised and can't help but walk around with a huge smile on my face.

So it was with a smile on my face that I headed to Hyde Park for the afternoon. I bought an ice cream and sat on a bench watching the sun tickling the surface of the Serpentine and rollerbladers weaving in and out of neon cones on the pathway.

I spend most of my time between Brixton (where I live) and Sheperd's Bush (where I study), so sometimes I forget that all of this exists. When I remember, I feel even more fortunate than ever to live in this city.

Never mind drugs, dressing in deliciously bright colours and wandering around Hyde Park in the sun is the best possible kind of high.
Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment