Monday 16 November 2009

Back to Cosmopolitan!

I cried when I left Cosmopolitan in the summer. My month's work experience there was fantastic, and I was so sad to leave. It convinced me (not that I needed convincing) that this is what I want to do. So all I wanted next was to get another opportunity to do it. 

Last week I got an email from one of the fashion assistants at Cosmopolitan saying they were all going away and needed someone to come in from the 23rd of November to the 11th of December and look after things in the fashion department, and would I be interested? 

Hmm, would I be interested? Silly question really. I had replied with a huge yes withing half an hour. I didn't know where I would stay, I didn't even know if the school would let me take the time off, but it seemed too good an opportunity to miss. When I was there in the summer I found out that they have interns pretty much all year round, so I couldn't believe that they had asked me and knew it would be crazy to say no. 

I went in to school the following day with my argument planned out in my head. I knew three weeks was a long time, especially as this is my final year at school, but I also knew what I wanted and was prepared to stick up for myself in order to get it. I want to do as well as I possibly can in my A levels, and will take work with me to do in the evenings, but I also know that they are not the most important things to get me to where I want to be. At first the school were reluctant, but eventually they agreed. In fact, most of my teachers have been really supportive. They know that this is what I want to do and how competitive an industry it is, therefore what a good opportunity it is for me. 

So on Sunday I will be travelling up to London to start my three weeks at Cosmopolitan on Monday. I feel so lucky and am so excited - I'm going back! 

I know it will be hard work; my train journeys and evenings will be spent doing as much school work as I can to keep up, and I'll then email it back to school for marking. Then at the weekends I will be travelling home so I can keep up my Saturday job, then it will be back up to London for another week. But I cannot wait. Going back to London feels like going home, not to mention the fact I will be there for the run up to Christmas. And being at Cosmopolitan gives me a glimpse of what I am aiming for, and have been working towards in pretty much everything that I do. So a bit of hard work seems a very small price to pay for all of that.

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment