Tuesday 20 July 2010

Good enough to eat...

My first Saturday job was in a bead shop called Bijoux Beads. It is a beautiful shop selling an array of gorgeous beads and handmade jewellery, with 3 stores: in Bath, Salisbury and Shaftesbury. Looking through photos on my computer I found some that I took whilst I was working there, and they have reminded me how much I loved it. There is something deliciously tactile about glass beads; each Saturday I would sneakily plunge my fingers into the trays brimming with sugary colours.

If I was given a pound for every time a customer said, "Mmm these look like sweeties," I would have been rich, but they were right.

Whilst working there I learnt the skills to make jewellery to sell in the shop as well as teaching jewellery making classes. It has been a long time since I made anything but I can feel the creative itch starting again. Before heading off to university I long to buy beads and make some jewellery to match my favourite outfits. And that's the joy of making something yourself - you get exactly what you want.
Looking through the Bijoux Beads website I have picked out my favourite (mostly pink) beads, the beads that make my mouth water and my heart glad.
Pink dotty handmade glass heart £2.95 I think these would look fab as a pair of dangly earrings.

These hearts (£2.50) were always one of my favourites. I liked to use them as a pendant on a simple chain, or adorning a chunky charm bracelet.
These pink and gold Indian flower beads are so cute, and only 45p each.
I love these metal daisies (£1.50) and long to make the ultimate daisy chain: a necklace made entirely of these flowers strung together.
And finally these pink and gold beads (45p) with their flower pattern are mouth-wateringly lovely.

I love Bijoux Beads xxx


Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment