Tuesday 20 July 2010

Happy Camper

You could probably guess, but I am not a camping person. I say this, however, after returning from a week of camping in Devon with my friends. There are aspects of camping that I enjoy; waking up to "good morning"s coming from the other tents and to a breakfast of porridge and syrup or barbecued sausages. One evening we all sat outside in our sleeping bags playing cards, before lying back into the grass and falling asleep watching the stars. Luckily we woke up again and dragged ourselves into our tents before the first drop of rain fell.

Because that is the flip-side of camping. It rained at least once every single day. Shoes became sodden and my body acquired a permanent layer of damp sand after using the one towel I had brought with me for both apres beach and apres shower. I may have seen dozens of floppy bunny rabbits hopping around the campsite in my late night toilet excursions, but I still got cold and returned to the tent damp from the rain.

However, perhaps my biggest objection to camping is my aversion to khaki. It may be the colour of next season, however it loses its allure somewhat when in the form of a sea of drab tents as opposed to a jacket or shearling coat. Why does camping equipment have to be so deeply unattractive? I fail to find one good reason why a tent should be khaki. Camouflaging into the surroundings? Surely that's the last thing you want when returning to your tent after the pub or trying to locate it after nipping to the loo at 2 in the morning.

No, I mantain that any camping experience would be greatly improved if it involved sleeping underneath this Zandra Rhodes teepee tent (£89.99 at Millets). This is the ultimate tent for the ultimate happy camper. Because in the words of Coco Chanel, "Fashion is not something that exists in dresses only. Fashion is in the sky, in the street, fashion has to do with ideas, the way we live, what is happening." So why should fashion stop at camping?
To match the Zandra Rhodes tent is this snuggly sleeping bag (£24.99 at Millets), both warm and pretty enough to induce the sweetest of dreams.
There'd be no chance of losing this multi-coloured tent from Millets (£49.99).
This whacky zebra print tent is a pop-up version making for quick and easy assembling. (£24.99 at Millets)

I am lucky enough to own this pink sleeping bag, which I slept in last week along with my pink 'Love' cushion that I brought with me. It is so warm and comfortable (not to mention pink and beautiful) that I am tempted to sleep in it at home too. (£24.99 at Blacks)

And last but not least, I am in love with 'Anorak' sleeping bags. The comfy sleeping bags come in a range of kitsch designs for the most stylish night's sleep. This bunny version has to be my favourite. (All designs £55)
I love this cute birdie bag.
And if you're bored of counting sheep, try counting boats instead.

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment