Have you ever been randomly searching for things on Google and then ended up on a page wondering how on earth you got there?
This is how I felt when I found myself on Amazon looking at 'Knits for Nerds' by Joan of Dark.
I can't even knit.
Despite my lack of crafty skills and my deep-rooted aversion to Star Wars, I was fascinated. What then ensued was a knit-related googling frenzy that left my internet history more embarrassing than that of a teenage boy. I think I even googled 'Knit your own boyfriend' (don't ask).
What I discovered through my searching was a bizarre wooly world that I never even knew existed. I am completely intrigued by people's creativity and undying love of knitting.
I thought I would share the best of my finds with you and introduce you to some of the best nerdy knitting books on the market (all available on Amazon).
1) Knits for Nerds by Joan of Dark a.k.a Toni Carr
Includes patterns for a 'Sexy Star Treck Mini Dress Uniform' and 'Hobbit feet slippers'.
2) Knitted Meerkats by Sue Straford
The name says it all really. What makes this book really special though (apart from being about knitted meerkats) is the range of characters that you can knit, including Skier-Kat, Prima Ballerina and my personal favourite, Fluffy Flippers.
3) Gothic Knits by Fiona McDonald
Who wants a cute dolly when you can have a gothic knit instead?
4) Evil Knits: 20 Projects that go Bump in the Night by Hannah Simpson
Along the same vein (gettit?) is 'Evil Knits' a collection of scary knitting projects including zombies, ghosts and gravestones.
5) Knitted Fast Food by Susie Johns
6) Knitted Cakes by Susan Penny
Although I would ordinarily prefer a cake that you can actually eat, I am willing to make an exception if the alternative is as kitsch as these knitted desserts. Including carrot cake, cupcakes, muffins and more.
7) The Olympknits: Knit 18 champion athletes and a handsome horse by Laura Long
Featuring Reg the Runner.
8) Knitlympics: Knit your Favourite Sports Star
9) Knit Your Own Royal Wedding by Fiona Goble
10) Stitch London by Lauren O'Farrell
Knit London landmarks including Big Ben, a police officer and a pigeon.
11) Knitivity by Fiona Gable
12) Knit Your Own Dog by Sally Muir and Joanna Osborne
Buy used on Amazon for £7.88
13) Knit Your Own Boyfriend
And finally new favourite blog:
Why would you knit that? : http://whywouldyouknitthat.blogspot.co.uk/