Saturday 25 September 2010

Friday - bye bye Cosmo

Friday was the third time I had to say goodbye to the Cosmo team and walk out through the doors of National Magazine House.

It has been a great, if at times tiring, week.

The highlight of yesterday was being sent by the fashion director to collect some clothes from Orla Keily. I could have quite happily have spent my life in the Monmouth street shop; it was so beautiful, and above all, happy. I left laden with colourful bags bulging with clothes.

Today was hectic, but broken up by two very pleasant interludes. At lunch I met up with my dad and godfather for a delicious meal at rustic Italian restaurant Polpo on Bleak Street. I am loving living in London and haven't felt too homesick so far, but seeing my dad waiting for me in the reception made me let out a sigh of relief. I hadn't realised how much I had been needing a big hug.

It was so lovely to see two familiar faces, and the meal was gorgeous. Think lots of small dishes to share: roast pumpkin with proscuitto, runner beans, pecorino and red onion, calamari and bruschetta piled high with roasted vegetables. Over the meal we chatted away; they were both keen to hear about my London adventures.

As a gift Dad gave me a book called '1000 things to do in London for under £10' which I think is going to become my bible. The book is well-thumbed already as I flicked through ear-marking the things I want to do. Over the next 3 years here (and hopefully many more in the future) I plan to make the most of living in such a vibrant, lively city.

After filling myself with food, wine and laughter (and after a few more hugs) I headed back to the office.

This afternoon turned out to be far too hectic for a Friday afternoon. Everyone was stressed and tired when a very pleasant surpised came as a welcome distraction. We were all busy working away when there suddenly came the sound of voices. Singing voices. Singing male voices. The entire office got up from their desks and followed the music around the corner to where a group of 5 gorgeous men were singing. The Cosmo office is (naturally) female dominated so I don't know what got everyone more excited, the singing, or seeing men, real MEN in the office. I wasn't the only one going a little weak at the knees.

The singing men turned out to be 'The Overtones' an up and coming group who were paying visits to local offices to promote their new album. I think you can safely say that from the enthusiastic applause and all the swooning going on, they definitely won us over.

When I got home I looked them up online, and fell in love with them even more when I heard their rag to riches story. The group used to be painters and decorators that sang on the side until a talent scout from Warner Bros overheard them singing during a tea break off Oxford Street, a chance encounter that ended up with the boys signing a deal with the record label. As a die-hard supporter of the underdog it was heart warming to discover that sometimes things can go unexpectedly, fantastically right.

It was sad to say goodbye to the Cosmo girls, but as the fashion assistants said to me as I left, I'm sure I'll be back soon. You just can't get rid of me that easily. :)

Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment