Saturday 19 February 2011

Red Week, Saturday

It may have been a rainy day in London but I was red and smiling. Tomorrow is my last day of two weeks in colour. In a way I don't want it to end.

In the end I wasn't needed to assist for the rest of the weekend at Fashion Week, and as the rain dribbled down my window this morning I must admit the prospect of standing outside for six hours didn't seem too appealing. Instead I took the time to catch up with some work before meeting my family for supper in the evening.

My Dad arrived with a gift in tow: a bunch of red tulips to match my outfit, now standing next to the pink roses sent by my boyfriend last week.

The sky clouded ominously above us as we headed out, but I wasn't worried, wearing, as I was, a shiny red raincoat lent to me for the Red Week cause by my friend Theresa. Feeling very much the 21st Century Red Riding Hood, all I was missing was a basket slung over my arm.

This evening as I walked into a restaurant buzzing with people, I noticed how much higher my head was held than the first time I stepped out in top-to-toe colour. Two weeks ago when I ventured out in pink I did so nervously, smiling at people almost apologetically as I passed them and their puzzled expressions in the street. After two weeks, however, the fears have been painted over by bright pink and vivid red.

I am not the only one to have cottoned on to the power of colour. After the recession-induced minimalism and sombre pallete of last season, vibrant brights are set to have a comeback this summer. As I sat in my all red outfit this morning flicking through Vogue I came across a page painted with rainbow blocks of colour. It was an article by Nicola Copping entitled 'Colour Splash.' "This is not the season to be shy and retiring," it began.

Throughout the article the praises are sung for all things bright and beautiful. "Women want something that is unique," said Jonathan Saunders, "special pieces where they can create their own look and not look like a clone. Colour is the perfect way to do this - it is able to make a girl stand out."

Later on in the piece creative director of Cacharel, Cedric Charlier, agrees: "I imagined this collection with the desire to 'dynamise' a new look. Being cheerful is what is required to wear it."

And the piece ends with Copping's uplifting advice, "But most importantly, be confident with your colour: there's no room for shyness this spring."

Being a wallflower has fallen out of fashion, and more importantly it just isn't much fun. You might not take my word for it. But just listen to Vogue.




Libby

No comments:

Post a Comment